Three...two...one...happy new year! When the countdown ends, the new year begins, bringing with it opportunities for new beginnings of all kinds. Whether you resolve to focus on wellness, learn a new skill, or commit to a natural skin care regimen, sticking to your New Year's resolutions can be as challenging as it is exciting. We've compiled some tips to help you crush your goals and make 2022 your best year yet!
Tip #1: Write it Down
Did you know a pen can be the most powerful tool in achieving your 2022 goals? Well, it's true! According to a study by Dr. Gail Matthews, you become 42% more likely to achieve your goals when you write them down.
Not sure where to start? Here are some ideas:
- Write down your top five goals that you hope to achieve this year. Make them measurable and attainable for the best chance of success.
- Create a checklist of steps needed to achieve your goals. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment that comes from checking a task of your list! This can help you stay motivated and on-track.
- Cultivate positivity--write down positive affirmations to help inspire you along your journey. Try visualizing achieving your goals with phrases like "I am" or "I have" to empower you as you work towards your dreams.
Bonus: Treat yourself to a cute planner and pens for an extra dose of motivation!
Tip #2: Keep Good Company
You know what they say - the more, the merrier! This is especially true when it comes to sticking to your resolutions and achieving your goals. There will definitely be days when you aren't feeling the most motivated - we've all been there! So, when the going gets tough, it's great to have friends who help motivate and keep you accountable.
There are plenty of ways to find people to share your journey:
- Talk to a friend and discuss the goals you'd like to work on together.
- Join (or start) a group in-person or online.
- Take a class and stay in touch with your classmates.
By surrounding yourself with supportive people, you'll be more likely to achieve your goals and have fun along the way!
Tip #3: Be Kind to Yourself
While it can be tempting to capitalize on that new year motivation and run at full speed towards your goals, it's important to remember to take care of yourself along the way. New Year's resolutions can lead to burnout if you don't check in with yourself regularly and take breaks when you need them. It's what you do consistently over a long period of time that determines your success!
As you work towards your goals, here are a few self-care ideas to keep in mind for when you need a little TLC:
- Get adequate sleep - this will keep you healthy and help you tackle each day with energy and optimism.
- Make time for fun - stay happy and motivated by spending time with friends and family throughout your journey. Not only is this good for your mental and emotional health, but being around others who support your goals can renew your motivation.
- Treat yourself--whether you indulge in a movie and face mask, take a break from your hustle to engage in some gentle movement, or spend a little extra time on your skin care regimen, self-care rituals can be restorative and help you stay well while you work on your goals. As the saying goes, you can't pour from an empty cup, so be sure to put as much effort towards taking care of yourself as you do towards keeping your new year's resolutions.