As we kick off 2020, the new year presents the perfect opportunity to reflect, reset and refresh our current routines. Whether it’s a new approach to our eating habits, fitness, or beauty regimen, the end of the year gives us the chance to look back and decide what worked for us and what didn’t. 2019 brought us a wide variety of trends, fads, and innovations - especially in the realm of skin care. There seems to be multiple different solutions for the same skin concerns and plenty of temptation to try the newest “key ingredient” or “revolutionary product line”.
With all this trial and error, it’s nearly impossible to figure out exactly what works for our skin and what doesn’t – and frankly, we’re seeing more breakouts and irritation in the process. There’s a simpler, more effective approach to skin care and it’s as easy as going back to the basics.
Understand Your Skin Type
Before you build your ideal skin care routine, it’s important to understand your skin type and primary skin concern. In doing so, you can effectively select the best ingredients, formulas and treatments for you. Skin care is not “one size fits all”, your regimen should be built around how your skin acts and what it really needs. How do we know what our skin needs? It often tells us – oil production, dry patches, breakouts, redness, and irritation are all common skin concerns but can also be signs of imbalance. When we constantly cycle through new products, especially one’s with active ingredients, it becomes difficult to understand how our skin operates without them. Consider what your skin looks and feels like when you’ve removed your routine from the picture. Then ask yourself which skin type description is most like your own:
- Skin is not too oily or dry, it is generally balanced
- Skin feels dry, tight and may peel or itch
- Dry skin types are most likely to be sensitive as well, in this case you’d often see redness or irritation in the face
Dry and dehydrated skin are often linked to the same skin concerns, learn about specific differences here!
- Skin appears shiny and has visible pores
- Oily skin types are most likely to be acne prone as well, in this case you’d often see blemishes or blackheads in the skin
- Skin appears dry and oily in different areas, usually in the chin or t-zone area
Once you’ve determined what skin type and concern best relates to you, the next step is to look for ingredients that benefit your skin, rather than make it worse.
Mind Your Labels
Certain ingredients, formulas, and treatments are designed for different skin types and concerns. Incorporating a product that isn’t suited for your specific skin type can make matters worse, leading you to think that you’d need even more products to achieve clear skin. For example, if you have combination skin and are using a richer moisturizer during the day, you may see a few breakouts as a result. While switching to a gel-cream formula during the daytime may be a better solution, many of us jump to a spot treatment or face mask to treat pimples, allowing the problem to persist. Here are some quick recommendations for each skin type:
- As your skin isn’t prone to sensitivity or breakouts, you have a bit more flexibility in which ingredients, formulas and treatments you incorporate into your routine
- Keep in mind - mixing certain ingredients can cause adverse reactions so keep it simple and try to keep your ingredients clean
Unnecessary ingredients and additives can weaken our skin’s natural barrier over time, read more about ingredients to avoid here!
- Stick to richer formulas and consider adding an oil to your skin care routine
- If your skin leans more sensitive, avoid artificial fragrances and active ingredients (like retinols or AHA/BHAs) in products and treatments
If your skin is dehydrated, consider a Hyaluronic Acid Serum to prevent water loss!
- Stick to light-weight formulas and consider adding an effective treatment serum to help clear clogged pores and prevent breakouts
- Consider gel-cream formulas, or at least opting for richer formulas at night and lighter formulas during the day
- Look for ingredients and formulas to help balance the skin, like rose water or niacinamide
Building a Routine
At InstaNatural, we believe that you don’t need an extensive skin care routine to get real results. The perfect skin care routine only requires 4 key steps - cleanse, tone, treat and moisturize!
- Cleanse – A gentle cleanser is essential for kicking off your routine both morning and night. Cleansing not only removes impurities from the skin but allows the products that follow to work more effectively. Start with a nickel-sized amount on clean skin, lather softly, rinse with warm water and pat (don’t rub) your skin dry
- Tone – Toners help balance the skin after cleansing and there are a variety of them to choose from. You can opt for all natural to soothe the skin and reduce redness or opt for a treatment toner with ingredients designed to fight acne or gently exfoliate.
- Treat – Serums provide a boost to your skin care routine by providing a higher concentration of key ingredients at a lower molecular weight (allowing them to absorb deeper into the skin and work more effectively). Serums are lightweight, power-packed and allow you to customize your routine as you can look for a blend of ingredients that treat your primary skin concern. For Example, Vitamin C is amazing for discoloration!
- Moisturize – Lock in the all the benefits of your cleanser, toner and serum by finishing with a moisturizer. Whether you go lightweight or rich in texture, based on your skin type, moisturizers add nourishment and protect the skin from external aggressors. Couple that with at least SPF 30 during the day and your skin will thank you, as it will help reduce damage to the skin and its barrier over time.
Our Satisfaction Guarantee
Scaling back on your skin care routine can seem daunting, with only 4 steps – how do you narrow down the right products? With your skin type, concerns and key ingredients in mind, our skin care quiz will match you up to the perfect routine to get you started on your simple and clean skin care journey.
We trust in the formulas that we create and stand behind every purchase with our satisfaction guarantee. You can try our products with confidence because at InstaNatural we believe the only promise to make, is a promise to keep.
Try our products RISK-FREE for 120 days*. In case you are not satisfied with any of our products purchased on our website, simply contact us to let us know. We will gladly refund your money as we back all our products with our 100% Money Back Policy - no questions asked.